An immune boosting chicken recipe with turmeric, chilli and garlic
6 Chicken Thighs
1 1/2 tbsp salt
1 level tbsp turmeric
1 level tbsp black pepper
1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
4 tbsp sunflower oil
1 chopped carrot
1 chopped onion
1 tbsp flour
4 cloves chopped garlic
1/2 scotch bonnet
1/2 chopped red pepper
1/2 chopped green pepper
15g fresh coriander (parsley, rosemary or thyme are good alternatives)
1. Place all your chicken in a mixing bowl, squeeze the lemon over and add all your dry seasoning. Mix well and set aside for 30 minutes at room temperature or 1 hour in the fridge if you have the time. This will help the flavour permeate the skin. If you don't have the time no worries, The first time I made this dish I didn't have marinading time on my hands either.
2. Add the sunflower oil to a skillet or oven safe pan*, heat on medium high for about 1 minute or until the oven is sizzling hot but not smoking. Cook your chicken skin side down first for 4 minutes, then turn over and cook the other side for a further 4 minutes. It should be a nice golden brown colour. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Take some of the oil out of your pan until you have 4-5tbsps oil left in the pan. Add your chopped carrots and onions to the hot oil and soften for 2-3 minutes. Now add the flour and stir so that it coats the veg. Cook for a further minute before adding the butter and garlic. Once the butter is hot and starts foaming, add the water and chilli then stir well ensuring nothing is stuck to the bottom of the pan.
4. Heat your sauce for about 2 minutes, until they come to a simmer. Reintroduce your chicken to the pan followed by the remaining ingredients. Place your pan in the preheated oven and cook for 20-25 minutes.
5. Serve with the accompaniments of your choice and enjoy! I like boiled plantain and broccoli.
*This dish works best with a cast iron skillet but if you don't have one don't worry! Start your dish in any frying pan you have. Pop an oven dish in the oven to heat up when you start preheating the oven, then add your chicken to cock in the oven dish as above.